Sunday, July 26, 2009

Advanced Maternal Age....Say What?

Apparently, at the ripe old age of 36, I am what obstetricians like to call of "advanced maternal age"..how amusing! As if I didn't already feel like the oldest mommy in our playgroup.;-)

Basically all this means is that I am at a higher risk for having a baby with certain genetic disorders such as downs syndrome, so more in depth tests are necessary. This isn't a bad thing..it means I get a more sensitive sequential screen than the average bear and more scans. Hey, more chances to see my growing baby? What could be wrong with that?

Still, it makes me feel old. I mean, here I am at 36 with 3 kids under the age of 4 and pregnant with #4, dragging my butt around the playground every day trying to make it look easy..at least I hope I'm making it look easy..lol ... and when I look around I see all these really young mommies with all this energy!

I can keep up with the best of them, but by 6 pm I have had it! After all day of running I am so ready to put the kids to bed and call it a day. I suspect all moms of young kids feel this way, even if they aren't of "advanced maternal age" ;-)

I think that is one of the things that they don't prepare you for, how bone weary you are going to be and how you still manage to get through each day, but most importantly...that you actually like it!


As My Belly Grows: Pregnancy update..

After several debates with myself regarding possible movement and it's relation to excess gas.. I have decided that I have definitely felt this little baby move!!!

I'm not a rookie so you'd think I'd know the difference between gas and actual fetal movement but I really had to stop and ponder it for awhile. I'm right at 16 weeks, so the time is right..although I had to look at the calendar to determine what week I'm in (with my 1st I could tell you to the minute how far along I was but each subsequent pregnancy seems to fly by quicker and quicker!)

But I am super excited, because I am positive that I am feeling the baby move! This is one of the best parts of pregnancy and the the part I miss the most when I am no longer pregnant.

Now I'm just waiting for the gender scan next month!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Honestly, I feel like a granny next to you! You're energy and dedication to getting those kids out and about is amazing! And to do it while pregnant? Wow!